Information We Collect
Information You Provide to Us
- Registration Information. When you sign up for a Safiri Express account, you give us your name, email address, and phone number. If you decide to sign up for Safiri using your Facebook, Google or Twitter account, we will also get basic information from your profiles like your name, gender, profile photo, and social graph.
- Location Information. When you sign up for a Safiri Express account, as a bare minimum you give us the name and location of your home and work area, and depending on need you will add or remove from your list, places that you may frequent often or plan to transit to.
- Payment Method. When you add a credit card or payment method to your Safiri Express account, a third party that handles payments for us will receive your information. To keep your financial data secure, we do not store full credit card information on our servers.
- Communications. If you contact us directly, we may receive additional information about you. For example, when you contact our Customer Delight and Support Team, we will receive your name, email address, phone number, the contents of a message or attachments that you may send to us, and other information you choose to provide.
- Partner Application Information. If you decide to join our partner community, in addition to the basic registration information, we also ask you for your date of birth, physical address, KRA Tax PIN, vehicle information, car insurance information, business license or permitting information. We do running background checks on partners to help protect the Safiri Express community and operations.
- Payment Information. To collect fare, settle day to day operational costs and make partner payments, we keep information about bank routing numbers and any other payment information provided.
Information We Collect When You Use the Safiri Express Platform
- Location Information. Safiri Express is all about seamless transitions. To do this, we need to know where you are. When you open Safiri Express on your mobile device, we receive your location. We may also collect the precise location of your device when the app is running in the foreground or background. If you label certain locations, such as “home” and “work,” we receive that information, too.
Your location information is necessary for things like matching commuters with nearby shuttles, determining drop off and pick up locations, and suggesting destinations based on previous trips. Also, if the need ever arises, our Safety team may use and share location information to help protect the safety of Safiri Express Users or a member of the public. In addition to the reasons described above, your location information and distance travelled is necessary for calculating fares and insurance for all trips. If you give us permission through your device settings or the Safiri Express app, we may collect your location while the app is off to identify promotions or service updates in your area.
- Device Information. We receive information from users’ devices, including IP address, web browser type, mobile operating system version, phone carrier and manufacturer, application installations, device identifiers, mobile advertising identifiers, push notification tokens, and, if you register with your Facebook, Google or Twitter accounts, your various identifiers with them. We collect sensor data from partner vehicle devices (such as speed, direction, orientation, acceleration or deceleration) to improve location accuracy, analyze usage patterns and drive service bookings.
- Usage Information. To help us understand how you use the Safiri Express Platform and to help us improve it, we automatically receive information about your interactions with the platform, like the pages or other content you view, your actions within the app, website, mobisite, and the dates and times of your visits.
- Call and Text Information. We work with a third party partner to facilitate phone calls and text messages with commuters. We receive information about these communications including the date and time of the call or SMS message, the parties’ phone numbers, and the content of any SMS messages. For security purposes, we may also monitor and/or record the contents of phone calls made, such as those between commuters and our service representatives. You will be given notice that your call may be recorded, and by proceeding you agree to allow us to monitor and/or record your call.
- User Feedback. At Safiri Express, we want to make sure commuters experience exceptional service. Commuters and partners may rate and review each trip. Where feedback has been received and remedial action is needed, we will act swiftly to restore service levels and confidence, through various means including but not limited to legal.
- Information from Cookies and Similar Technologies. We collect information through the use of “cookies”, tracking pixels, and similar technologies to understand how you navigate through the platform and interact with advertisements, to learn what content is popular, and to save your preferences. Cookies are small text files that web servers place on your device; they are designed to store basic information and to help websites and apps recognize your browser. We may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be accessed every time you use the platform. You should consult your web browser(s) to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete or choose not to accept cookies from us, you may be missing out on certain features of the Safiri Express platform, some of which are core to a great user experience.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
- Third Party Services. If you choose to register for Safiri Express or otherwise link your account with a third party’s service (such as Facebook, Google or Twitter), we may receive the same type of information we collect from you (described above) directly from those services.
- Third Party Partners. We may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data, payment information, social graph or fraud detection information, from third party partners and combine it with other information that we have about you.
- Corporate Programs. If your company, university, or organization participates in one of our corporate programs such as Safiri Express – Kazini or Safiri Express - Shuleni, we may receive information about you, such as your email address, from your participating organization. We also may give your participating organization the opportunity to book a commute on your behalf, in which case they may provide us with your name, phone number, and the pickup and drop off location.
- Background Information on Drivers and Cabin Crew. Safiri Express works with third party partners to perform driving record and criminal background checks on drivers and cabin staff. Where additional aptitude tests are performed, this information is kept on record and may be used for varied human resource purposes.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from all to:
- Connect commuters to their assigned shuttles;
- Provide, improve, expand, and promote the Safiri Express Platform;
- Analyze how the Safiri Express community uses the Platform;
- Communicate with you, either directly or through one of our partners, including for marketing and promotional purposes;
- Personalize the Safiri Express experience for you and your friends and contacts;
- Send you text messages and push notifications;
- Facilitate transactions and payments;
- Provide you with customer support;
- Find and prevent fraud; and
- Respond to trust and safety issues that may arise, including auto incidents, customer service facilitation, and requests from government authorities.
Additionally, we use the information we collect from partners (inventory partners) for the following purposes related to providing services on the Safiri Express platform:
- Sending emails and text messages to partners who have started the application process regarding the status of their application;
- Determining eligibility to become a Safiri Express partner;
- Notifying partners about commuter demand, pricing and service updates; and
- Calculating and providing Safiri Express’ bespoke compensation policy and analyzing usage patterns for safety and insurance purposes.
How We Share the Information We Collect
Sharing Between Users
Shuttle staff are able to see basic information about commuters booked to ride with them, such as names, photo, ratings, and any information they have added to their profiles. Shuttle staff see the pick-up location that the commuter has confirmed. Commuters see the shuttle and staff information (names, photo, and call button) and real-time location as it approaches the pick-up location.
Sharing Between Safiri Express and Third Parties
- API and Integration Partners. If you connect to the Safiri Express Platform through an integration with a third party service, we may share information about your use of the Safiri Express Platform with that third party. We may share your information with our third party partners in order to receive additional information about you. We may also share your information with third party partners to create offers that may be of interest to you.
- Third Party Services.
The Safiri Express Platform may allow you to connect with other websites, products, or services that we don’t have control over (for example, we may give you the ability to purchase a product from a local retailer whose inventory is made available you).
If you use these services, we will provide the third party with information about you to allow them to provide the service to you (for example, we would give the retailer your name, phone number and address to drop off the shopping). We can’t speak to the privacy practices of these third parties, and we encourage you to read their privacy policies before deciding whether or not to use their services.
- Service Providers. We work with third party service providers to perform some services on our behalf, and we may share your information with such service providers to help us provide and or improve the Safiri Express experience.
- Enterprise Partners. If you participate in an enterprise program and charge a commute to your organization’s billing method or credits, we will provide your organization’s account holder with information about your use of the Safiri Express Platform, including commute details such as date, time, charge, and pick up and drop off locations. If you create a Business Profile, at the end of each commute you will have the option to designate it as a business expense that you can claim on your tax returns for the VAT component.
- Transit Partners. We’ve partnered with several ride-sharing, ondemand, rail and airline services so you can seamlessly connect to designated pickup and drop-off pints plus the last mile, where distances to final destinations may be longer than a comfortable walk away. When we match you with such partners, we share the same information that is shared between yourself and the Safiri Express Platform.
Other Sharing. We may share your information with third parties in the following cases:
- While negotiating or in relation to a change of corporate control such as a restructuring, merger or sale of our assets;
- If a government authority requests information and we think disclosure is required or appropriate in order to comply with laws, regulations, or a legal process;
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or third parties if we think doing so is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Safiri Express community, Safiri Express, or the public;
- To comply with a legal requirement or process, including but not limited to, summons, court orders or other compulsory disclosures.
- If you signed up for a promotion with another User’s referral or promotion code, with your referrer to let them know about your redemption of or qualification for the promotion;
- With our insurance partners to help determine and provide relevant coverage in the event of an incident;
- To provide information about the use of the Safiri Express Platform to potential business partners in aggregated or de-identified form that can’t reasonably be used to identify you; and
- Whenever you consent to the sharing.
- Email Subscriptions. You can always unsubscribe from our commercial or promotional emails but we will still send you transactional and relational emails about your account use of the Safiri Express Platform.
- SMS Messages. You can always unsubscribe from our commercial or promotional SMS messages but we will still send you transactional and relational SMS’s about your account use of the Safiri Express Platform.
- Push Notifications. You can opt out of receiving push notifications through your device settings. Please note that opting out of receiving push notifications may impact your use of the Safiri Express Platform (such as receiving a notification that your shuttle has arrived or there has been a change in the ETA – estimated time of arrival).
- Profile Information. While your name and transit PIN will always be shared with shuttle staff. You will always be able to see shuttle staff names, rating, profile photos, and vehicle information.
- Location Information. While you can prevent your device from sharing location information at any time through your Device’s operating system settings, commuter and shuttle location is core to the Safiri Express Platform and without it active we regret that we cannot provide our services to you.
- Data Security. We are committed to protecting the data of the Safiri Express community. Even though we take reasonable precautions to protect your data, no security measures can be 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your data.
- Children’s Privacy. Safiri Express also serves the school transport market and all information we collect and store from anyone under the age of 18 is as provided by parents and or guardians and all reasonable effort will be made to ensure that this remains the modus operandi with data purges in the event of a positive report to the contrary.